A lot of people never dream of raising sheep as pets, they only think of raising sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But if you are one of those people who want to raise sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will give you guidelines on how to be a happy sheep owner.
When talking about good natured animals there is no other animal like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and children. They can be entertaining to raise and can teach young children how to be responsible.
Below are some tips in how to raise these animals:
– The first thing to consider when beginning to raise sheep is your finances. You have to invest a lot of money in buying fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your sheep and feeding your sheep.
– You should have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land should also be enough to accommodate all of your sheep. If you depend on pasture then having a lot of land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you can feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suitable for sheep.
– Deciding what type of breed you want to raise is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as pets but any other breed can do as long as you take care of them.
– You should make sure you get more then one sheep because sheep are social animals and like living with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t want your sheep to breed you can get your males neutered.
– Your sheep should be kept safe. You can do this by building a sheep house and fencing it as well. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators such as dogs and foxes that can harm your sheep.
– Make sure your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds and clover. You can also bring a veterinarian every once in a while to check on your sheep and make sure they are getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a happy sheep owner requires you to take care of your sheep. Give them good shelter, provide them with food and clean water on daily basis.