Out of the other animals that you see people making pets, chickens have a great advantage compared to them because they produce something that to edible to human beings. Chickens can supply you with meat and eggs something that you won’t get from dogs and cats.
In order to be a successful chicken farmer you have to know how to take care and manage your chickens. You also have to know about the different breeds of chickens that you can choose from. You should also know about the type of food chickens like to eat and how to house your chickens.
Below are some important considerations to keep in mind before you get started in raising chickens:
– Time. Do you have time to everyday to give your chickens food and change their water? Although chickens are low-maintenance they still require daily care and maintenance.
– Space. Do you have enough space? Chickens need some space to run around, hunt for insects, eat grass and weeds. You also have to have enough space to build a large chicken coop to house all your chicken and secure them from predators.
– Legal Issues. Are you allowed to raise chickens? This is very important because some places and countries don’t allow you to raise chickens or any other kind of livestock. Make sure that you enquire with your local regulations and ordinances about raising chickens. You may also have to obtain a permit to raise your chickens.
– The Cost. How much are you willing to invest? Make sure you know how much your project may cost. You will have to invest some money in building a chicken coop, buying feeds, buying your chickens and managing equipment.
– Numbers. How many chickens are you planning to raise? It’s important to know how many chickens you care planning on buying. Remember that chickens are social birds so you can’t keep one chicken. Also make sure that you mix up your chickens. You can have fewer males then females.